When you look at a dog what is the first thing you notice about him? The first thing which attracts all the attention is his ever appealing eyes. Then his happily wagging tail. Isn’t it? But if a dog owns such long years that they are enough to cover his full face, then those ears are gonna snatch all of your attention towards them. Right? Did you ever tried to know about those dog breeds that have surprisingly long and playful ears? If your answer is yes then this article is surely a must read for you because here we are going to discuss about 10 Breeds of dogs with big ears who are very famous for their “it’s all about ears” appearance. Have a cup of coffee and enjoy reading this article. First of all let us be clear about one thing that their long ears have specific jobs, it’s not that they are only for making them look beautiful. Long eared dog breeds are mainly categorized into hound group which are meant for hunting.
Dogs with Big Ears:
1. Blood Hound: One of the very famous long eared dog breed is Bloodhound which obviously falls in the Hound group of breeds. They are among those primitive hunting dogs who hunt with the help of their strong smelling sense.
2. Basset Hound: This bunch of Hound is very famous in the show ring. Their presence and long ears are going to catch everybody’s admiration. They are not very large according to their body size but their ears are bigger. They are mainly native to France and they are well adapted to apartment living.
3. Afghan Hound: This breed is also from the Hound family having long ears. Their ears are so elegant and so furry that you cannot even distinguish them from their furry body while you look at them. They are native to the cold mountains of Afghanistan and that’s why they are so named. Because of their so unique appearance they have
been used many times in many animated feature films and TV shows.
4. Black and Tan Coonhound: It’s a cross between Bloodhound and Black and Tan Virginia Foxhound. Being native to the United States this breed are very popular in chasing raccoons entirely by smell. Till date a Coonhound from Colorado named Harbor set the Guinness Book World Record for the longest ears (12.25 inches for the left ear and 13.5 inches for the right one).
5. Cocker Spaniel: Now let us concentrate on the Spaniel family. This guy from Spaniel family owns cute, long, velvety ears which are the cuddliest. They can be kept as a pet but they are very sensitive to loneliness and are at their best mood when with the family members.
6. English Cocker Spaniel: This active dog breed from the Spaniel family is again an example of dogs having long ears. They are well known as ‘working’ dogs. They can be taken as lovely companions for their playful and cheerful nature.
7. Irish setter: This dog belongs to the Gundog breed. They have long and silky ears of chestnut color which is same to the color of their body coat. Though they are hunting breeds yet they make good companionship with children and they are ever enthusiastic to meet new visitors.
8. Gordon Setter: Belonging to the Setter family this Gundog is widely used to hunt game birds. They have coal black coat with long, silky and furry ears. This alert and intelligent breed is very loyal to its master.
9. Poodle: This smart dog can overwhelm anyone with their cuteness. This breed is the second intelligent dog breed after Border Collie. This active, elegant and agile dog breed has long, furry, white ears that are very famous among the dog show lovers.
10. Dachshund: This dog breed is native to Germany. This short legged, long-bodied dog breed has long and oily ears. They are very popular sport dogs and they are the most popular dogs in The United States. They are aggressive to the strangers and other dogs and might not be good companion to the children but yes they are cute and droopy eared which is surely going to make you in love with them.
If you go and check the soft toy dogs’ rack at any shopping mall or if you look at the cartoon dog characters you will end up finding most of them have long, droopy and curly ears. Actually long ears make the dog’s face appear more appealing and cute. But the droopy eared dogs are more prone to ear infections because they have more bacteria accumulation in their ears. So if you decide to have any long eared buddy as your pet make sure that you take proper care of their ears. That’s all folks!