Hummingbirds are the smallest known birds on this earth. They are so named when they fly they create a humming sound by the flapping of their wings. Generally this bird symbolizes joy and playfulness. They are one of the fascinating birds by their looks and swiftness. So if you have a big garden with lots of flowers and trees and you want to add some more color by attracting hummingbirds to your garden here are those few tricks which can help you out in this regard.
How to Attract Hummingbird in your Garden:
1. Spider webs play a trick : If you have spider webs in garden and you are willing to clean them, then don’t do that. Because they can work wonder in case of attracting humming birds to your garden. Actually humming birds use the net material to make their own nest. This material acts as a good knitting material also. Moreover, Hummingbirds like to prey those insects, which are stuck to the nest. Those insects supply the required protein to hummingbird’s diet.
2.The orange ribbon around the oak tree trunk : If you have a moderately long red or orange tape or any bright colored tape or piece of cloth just tie it around the high branches of the trees or around the railings of your garden. Humming birds have good eyesight. If they get to see such bright colors they will come down to your garden and if they find good blooming flowers or any feeders of their kind they have a tendency to stick to that place for a long time.
3. Add new hummingbird plant species to your garden : You can consult your nearer source center from where you can get information about the best hummingbird plants. And you can add them to your garden. This will attract more humming birds towards your yard. Here is a list of favorite humming bird plants for your convenience:
Water willow shrimp plant
Red hot poker torch lily knofflers
Indian tobacco fool’s bane vomitwort
4. Your garden should bloom continuously : If you plan to change your garden to a total hummingbird garden then choose different species of plants with different blooming period. Say, you have to choose three different categories of species. You can choose an early blooming species which is ready to bloom then you can have salvia species for the summer months and for the later periods you can choose anything like trumpet creeper which will bloom the rest of the year. If you do that hummingbirds will always get attracted by the changing colors of your garden. You have to understand the soil and climate type of your place for the best alternatives you put to your garden.
5. Repainting or remodeling your plastic flowers and feeders : Just when your plastic flowers or feeder’s color goes dull due to long exposure to weather, you need to change it. You can do this but painting your feeders with bright red or magenta shade nail polish or you can use any color source. When the painted pots are dried and the color gets dried, this attracts the hummingbirds like anything.
6. New feeders for more hummingbirds: If you are thinking to attract more hummingbirds this season, you have to change your same old feeder pots. Hummingbirds like bright and easy feeding pots. So go to the market and buy some pots, which are easy to paint, easy to wash and easy to fill in with foods. Use your brighter nail polishes to paint them attractively. This will surely attract those small friends to your garden.
7.Enhance the blooming of flowers by deadheading them : This is a year old process for getting more flowers . When you deadhead your plants by removing the old blossoms it is proven that the next time the plant gives more flowers and seed heads. This allows you to have more flowers in your garden and as a result, the birds will be attracted easily.
8. Add bright colored flowers with reasonable amount of nectars: We often confuse that hummingbirds are only attracted towards red flowers. But that is not the truth; any colored flowers with good nectars in it are good for hummingbirds. So make sure that you have lots of flowering plants with good nectars in your garden.
9. Good nectar recipe for you: We can give you a proper recipe to make good nectar. Take 1 Part Sugar and four parts water. Boil this mixture for 1 to 2 minutes. Then let it be cool and refrigerate this mixture. You are ready with your nectar. Don’t use honey or any artificial sweetener to it.
Now just follow the above tricks and maintain your garden. Give your feeders a new look and add bright colored flowers with good nectars. These steps will help you attract more and more hummers to your garden throughout the year. All the best!