Some people love to live with a motto “Bigger is better”. This article is exactly for those people. Even sometimes this motto also applies to the pets. There are many large breed of dogs and they are very popular as pets around the world. Here we will be mentioning some of these large breeds of dogs with pictures so that it helps you to choose one from the list. If you are one of those people who love something bigger, then of course you should go ahead. Here you can get the pictures 15 types of large dog breeds around the world and their brief description.
Types of Large Dog Breeds with Pictures:
1. Scottish deerhound: As the name tells that they have originated from Scotland and were mainly bred to bring down stags from the Scottish highlands. They are very large in size and became royal breeds over time. Maximum Height of this breed is 75-80cm.
2. Kuvasz: It is one of the dog breeds that are compared to the large dog breeds around the world. It‘s origin
is from the Hungary and can be really good if trained well. Kuvasz is regarded as one of the smallest big dogs.Height of this breed is 70-76cm.
3. Great Pyrenees: This dog breed was mainly bred to protect the sheep in Europe. Later it became one of the popular domestic dog breed. The most important thing about them is they are very loyal and trustworthy is nature. Great Pyrenees height is upto 70-82cm.
4. Anatolian Shepherd Dog: Antolian Shepherds were mainly used as a defense against predators. They have fierce full protective nature and are quite lovable. They are also very suitable for harsh climates.
Height: Female: 71–79 cm, Male: 74–81 cm
5. Newfoundland: Normally, Newfoundland is not the world’s largest dog breed but actually some exceptions make them get included in the list. Some of the dogs of this breed can cross even 200 pounds. They are great water rescue dogs and normally named as ‘Gentle Giants’.Height of Newfoundland dog Male is 69–74 cm and Female is 63–69 cm.
6. Leonberger: When Leonberger was bred for the first time, three of the world’s largest dog was involved in it. They are used today as Life guard dogs with a great appearance.A mature Leonberger heights range is 70-80cm.
7. St. Bernard: St. Bernard is a giant dog breed and they grow very large in a short period of time. Once they were also used for rescuing people from the snow but now they have become good pets.The average weight of the breed is between 65 and 120 kg and approximate height is 70-90cm.
8. Irish wolfhound: Irish wolfhounds are very light weight dogs but very large in size. They can grow up to the height of 30-35 inches on an average. They are also found in various colors.The minimum height of this breed is 32 inches and minimum weight is 55kg.
9. Great Dane: Great Danes are always known as the greatest or the tallest dog breeds around the world. The current world record of the world’s tallest dog breed is also a Great Dane. So if you are really in a love with large dogs then you should go for Great Danes.Great Dane with a size of 43 inches and holds two records.
10. Mastiff: Mastiffs are always known to be very courageous and dignified in their own style. But they are very social and docile in nature.The average height of mastiff’s up to 65-75cm.
11. Cane Corso: They are very smart and intelligent dog breed with a great confidence and activeness. The main thing of this dog breed is they are very muscular in nature.Males stand 25 to 27.5 inches and females 23.5 to 26 inches.
12. Bernese mountain dog: Bernese Mountain Dogs are mainly very calm and quiet in nature. They are very social but with a large body that makes most of the people afraid of them.the average height of this male dog is 26 inches.
13. Tibetan Mastiff: If you keep them in your house, they are very mellow and calm in nature. Much devoted to the family as every owner wants. But very aggressive towards the strangers.
14. Black Russian Terrier: Black Russian Terriers are normally very smart, confident and protective towards their loved ones. They grow really large and come with an amazing appearance.Black Russian’s weight can range from 80 to 140 pounds
15. Neapolitan Mastiff: They are very watchful and loyal to their owners. Normally calm in nature but can be very aggressive towards the owners.According to the American Kennel Club (AKC) standard, male Neapolitan Mastiffs should measure 26–31 inches.
16 Dogue De Bordeaux: This is a dog breed with an average weight of 144 pounds and can grow up to 26 inches. This breed is a purebred and is very courageous, active and social dog breed. Keep them in regular exercise for a fit body structure.
17 Rottweiler: Rottweiler originates from Germany and is a very popular large dog breed. They are very intelligent and fearless in nature.
18 Caucasian Ovcharka: This dog breed is known for it’s large body and fearless nature. Caucasians are very protective and aggressive. they can also used for hunting.
Now it’s up to you which breed you are going to choose from here depending on your ability to keep them as pets. The choice generally varies from man to man but you should go for the one you like the most.