Some people love to live with a motto “Bigger is better”. This article is exactly for those people. Even sometimes this motto also applies to the pets. There are many large breed of dogs and they are very popular as pets around the world. Here we will be mentioning some of these large breeds of dogs with pictures so that it helps you to choose one from the list. If you are one of those people who love something bigger, then of course you should go ahead. Here you can get the pictures 15 types of large dog breeds around the world and their brief description.
When you look at types of large dog breeds with pictures, we are sure that you would be eager to know more details about them. The more you know about them, the better you will be able to care for them. it is very important to know the details of the breed of dog so that you can make the right choice about the kind of dog you should get to keep as a pet. This way you can be sure that you have a happy dog living with a family that is happy with the choice you have made.
Types of Large Dog Breeds with Pictures:
1. Scottish deerhound: As the name tells that they have originated from Scotland and were mainly bred to bring down stags from the Scottish highlands. They are very large in size and became royal breeds over time. Maximum Height of this breed is 75-80cm.
As you can see the size details given in the picture, this dog is indeed a large one. However, the female would be slightly shorter and lighter at around 35 to 43 kgs when compared to the 40 to 50 kgs of the male. Given the general height and size of this breed, it should not surprise you that it is also among the popular dog breeds with big paws. You will see that in the modern breeds, this dog tends to have a coat in various shades of grey. This is a gentle breed that has a lot of dignity too.
2. Kuvasz: It is one of the dog breeds that are compared to the large dog breeds around the world. It‘s origin
is from the Hungary and can be really good if trained well. Kuvasz is regarded as one of the smallest big dogs.Height of this breed is 70-76cm.
If your Kuvasz comes in the house it’s likely to shed hair around your home’s furniture, fabric, and flooring surfaces (especially in the Spring and Autumn, when it moults and can lose large chunks of hair). Sweeping hard surfaces periodically can help, as will a lint roller on more delicate fabrics. Lastly, you should regularly use a vacuum cleaner to help keep hair from getting too out of control. This site tests vacuums and has a list of the best vacuum cleaners they’ve tested. It’s worth checking out if you need a more robust vacuum to help remove the Kuvasz’s hair around your home.
This dog breed that has a dense coat that tends to be odorless and is mostly white in color, was bred to be a guardian dog for livestock. Though the fur looks white, the pigmentation of this dog is dark and the nose is black in color. The Kuvasz has a wide head and tends to be a playful dog through its adolescence. The stiff and dense coat that this breed has can grow as long as 6 inches but does not require any special grooming. You will simply need to brush the hair with a suitable brush once a week to ensure that it is in good condition.
3. Great Pyrenees: This dog breed was mainly bred to protect the sheep in Europe. Later it became one of the popular domestic dog breed. The most important thing about them is they are very loyal and trustworthy is nature. Great Pyrenees height is upto 70-82cm.
Ranging from 50 to 59 kgs the male of this breed tends to be bigger than the females who can range from 41 to 52 kgs. The Great Pyrenees is the strongest breed of dogs in the world and has a double coat of hair. The upper coat of hair is thick, long and flat hair, which can be straight or undulating over woolly undercoat, that is dense and fine. If you are keeping the Great Pyrenees as a pet at home, then you would have to brush its coat at least once or twice a month.
4. Anatolian Shepherd Dog: Antolian Shepherds were mainly used as a defense against predators. They have fierce full protective nature and are quite lovable. They are also very suitable for harsh climates.
Height: Female: 71–79 cm, Male: 74–81 cm
This muscular breed of dog comes with a thick neck, sturdy body, and thick neck. They can grow to be between 40 kgs to 70 kgs in weight though the females of the breed can be a bit on the smaller side. When you look at the accompanying pictures, you will realize that this breed truly deserves to be on the list of amazing pictures of big dogs. In most cases, the Anatolian Shepherd Dog has a light or white cream coat with white spots on it. Their thick double coat needs to be brushed once or twice a week to ensure that it remains clean and well-groomed.
5. Newfoundland: Normally, Newfoundland is not the world’s largest dog breed but actually some exceptions make them get included in the list. Some of the dogs of this breed can cross even 200 pounds. They are great water rescue dogs and normally named as ‘Gentle Giants’.Height of Newfoundland dog Male is 69–74 cm and Female is 63–69 cm.
The Newfoundland breed of dogs have webbed feet and a coat that is water-resistant. They weigh between 55 kgs to 90 kgs with the females being slightly lighter in size and the giant male touching 90 kgs. Most of the times you will see that the dog can be black or brown or a mix of white and black in color. In spite of their huge size, this breed is known to be calm of temperament and stoic in nature. The lung capacity allows for swimming long distances and their thick and oily coat is waterproof helps protect them from cold waters.
6. Leonberger: When Leonberger was bred for the first time, three of the world’s largest dog was involved in it. They are used today as Life guard dogs with a great appearance.A mature Leonberger heights range is 70-80cm.
Weighing between 45 kgs to 77 kgs, with the male dogs being bigger in size and the females being a bit smaller. The legend behind this dog breed states that it was bred to imitate the lion that was in the town crest belonging to Leonberg in Germany. The Leonberger has featured as one of the biggest dogs in the world and their Guinness world records.
7. St. Bernard: St. Bernard is a giant dog breed and they grow very large in a short period of time. Once they were also used for rescuing people from the snow but now they have become good pets.The average weight of the breed is between 65 and 120 kg and approximate height is 70-90cm.
To start with, this dog is really huge with its weight ranging from 65 kgs to 120 kgs. The size also makes this breed of dog one of the most dangerous dog breeds because they are also difficult to train. If you are wondering about their name, it is supposed to have originated from Great St Bernard Hospice in the pass of the same name which is in thewestern Alps which is situated between Italy and Switzerland.
8. Irish wolfhound: Irish wolfhounds are very light weight dogs but very large in size. They can grow up to the height of 30-35 inches on an average. They are also found in various colors.The minimum height of this breed is 32 inches and minimum weight is 55kg.
As we have said earlier, this breed is large but not a heavy one. The Irish Wolfhound also counts among the most expensive dog breeds in the world. The reason that it is called a wolfhound is not because of its appearance and not due to the breeding. This breed is among the oldest and can be traced back to early 7000 BC. Before you jump in and get one, please note that like many other large dogs, this one too has a relatively short lifespan.
9. Great Dane: Great Danes are always known as the greatest or the tallest dog breeds around the world. The current world record of the world’s tallest dog breed is also a Great Dane. So if you are really in a love with large dogs then you should go for Great Danes.Great Dane with a size of 43 inches and holds two records.