It is a common problem that almost all the dog owners face over time. But there is nothing to feel frustrated about that. In fact, whenever you are in a problem, you should obviously find some way for the solution. Now the thing is that, training your dog to walk politely with you in the outdoors is a bit tough and you will need some basic knowledge to make your dog do that. So you should obviously learn how to walk your dog. There are various factors that you will have to consider on this matter, so get friendly to the tips and techniques that will teach you to train your for that.
Train your Dog to Walk Politely with You:
1. Put a Leash and Collar: When you regularly take your dog to walk, you will notice that your dog will automatically recognize the time on his own. So you should always put a collar on their neck, from their very young age. So after some years, your dog will come to wear the collar and you will not have to force them for that. So while you are going for a walk, put the collar tightly so that it doesn’t slip out.
2. Train them for a Particular Side: Actually, you will have to maintain consistency to train your pet well. While you are taking them for a walk, you should teach your dog to walk on a particular side, either left or right. Your pet will get accustomed to it after some days. But don’t expect this to happen in a single day.
3. Know to Control: One of the main things is that you will have to keep your dog in control. Once you loose your control, it can be dangerous for you. This is also necessary so that your dog can’t dictate you while walking. Just make them know that you are the boss and they will have to go as you say. So for that you should wrap the leash nicely to your hand, keep the leash close to your body but they should get the scope to walk naturally, your dog should feel the limitations and should get the point that you will not accept anything beyond that.
4. Talk to your Dog: Though you may think that your dog can’t understand your language but yes, they can truly understand your commands. Actually, they try to understand your voice, not your words. So you should not show any frustrations in your voice. You should always cheer them up. Use a hard voice to make them know that you are not happy with it.
5. Reward your Dog: Whenever you see that they are improving the nature, give them some treat for more better improvement. Reward should be given often and consistently. Yes, you will have to know the treat by which you can make your dog happy.
6. Use Clicker Device for Training: It is a very popular device used for dog training. Use the clicker only for good behaviors. So
whenever they will get a click sound with some treat, they will understand that they have done the thing right.
7. Time for Walk: Always avoid taking your dog for a walk when it’s too sunny outside. You should always prefer early morning or early evening so that it doesn’t affect your dog. During the afternoon, the roads remain hot, which is actually very hurting to the dog as they walk bare feet.
8. Carry Some Foods: Carry a poop bag, some water, clicker, a portable bowl and some dry foods for your dog during the walk. When you are taking them for a long walk, you should keep them hydrated. So carry fruits or vegetables like strawberry, carrots, blueberries, apple slices, watermelon etc. for better results.
9. Purchase the Proper Walking Equipments: Go to your vet and consult for the walking equipments you will need. Actually, the selection of collar and leash completely depends on the size of your dog. So don’t go and buy it on your own, before that know it from the vet.
10. Take Some Rest: Never force your dog for walking. In the early stages, you should only make them walk for a small distance and slowly increase the time. Understand their condition and never force them to walk more and more. Look for a spot that is full of shade and take some rest there with your dog.
Try out all the steps and you will start seeing the changes in your canine. But again, we are saying that nothing is possible overnight, so never expect that. Instead, you should keep your patience and go on trying. Dogs are intelligent enough but they needs some time to adapt in various situations. So give them a lot and train them in the right procedure, you will be getting a well-trained dog as your pet.