There are many types of dog houses for different needs. There are indoor dog houses for people that want their dogs to stay indoors, there are outdoor dog houses for dogs that love the outdoors, and there are insulated dog houses that will help keep your dog warm all year-’round. Determining the best dog house is a combination of several factors.
If your dog sleeps outside, buy the best-insulated dog house you can afford so he can stay warm during the winter months. You can also purchase an indoor dog house and an insulated outdoor dog house so your dog can sleep inside when it is cold and outside when it is warm. There are all-weather dog houses available in the market today so, you can purchase one if you feel they best fit your need.
The first thing to note when looking for the best dog house for your dog is that they are not all the same. The best dog house is one that shields your dog from elements and also offers him a safe space he can call home. In our opinion, a good dog house should provide a warm spot, offer shade, and give your dog a sense of security and privacy.
What makes a good dog house?
Here’s our dog house buying guide. There are many factors to consider when buying a dog house. You have to consider the sizes, prices, designs, and a lot more. Consider these factors when shopping for the best doghouse for your dog.
- SIZE: You may want a large palace of a dog house for your dog, but that does not necessarily mean that it is the best for your dog. Dogs are not as fussy as humans. They want a place they can get in and get out without any complications. They want a place they can comfortably stand and stretch in. If your dog’s house is too large, there is no guarantee that it will help your dog retain his body heat in cold weather, and it will not give him the cozy feeling most dogs want. Measure your dog before picking the dog house.
- AIR VENTILATION: While your dog can get plenty of ventilation through open doors, you should get a dog house that has additional vents if you want your dog to stay in the house during hot weather. Dog houses that have extra ventilation come with decorative windows or open slits under the roof eaves. It is best to get a dog house that has windows that you can close. With this type of dog house, you can shut the window during cold winters to keep drafts out. Dog houses with a dog flap can also work the same way.
- INSULATION: Your dog will be a lot more comfortable in a dog house that does not go through temperature extremes. Due to the design of some doghouses, it is usually hard to keep the inside of these dog houses warm. You can get a dog house that has a double-wall assembly. This type of dog house reduces thermal transfer. There are also dog houses that come with insulation kits that you can purchase.
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Most dog houses are easy to put together. Dog houses with a simple design typically come in two pieces that you can easily snap together, but more elaborate dog houses with stairways or porch may require more assembly. Most of these complex dog houses come with assembly instructions, so you can assemble them if you follow the instructions right. The choice depends on whether you want to spend the time assembling an elaborate dog house or not.
- OPTIONAL STRUCTURE: If you don’t want a plain dog house, you can get one with structural features that are not necessary. You can get one that has a clean-out door. This feature is not necessary, but it helps the dog owner clean the dog house well. You can also get one that has windows, whether for ventilation or decoration purposes. Also, if you can afford it, then get one that has a porch. Your dog can lie on the porch if he does not want to stay inside his house.
The Nine Best Dog Houses for Your Pet
With the factors and features listed above, we have narrowed down the best dog houses you can find in the market. These top picks have their charms and purpose. They are:
1. PetsFit Dog House (Best Overall)
We consider this option the best overall dog house. The Petsfit Outdoor Dog House is made with wood, and it can blend beautifully with most yards. You can paint this dog house to match your home, or you can leave it as it is. It comes in yellow and white, red and white, or silvery gray and white. These colors pop and can add extra design and character to your yard. It is also available in small, medium, and large sizes and can accommodate dogs of any size.
The Petsfit Dog House has an offset door that allows dogs to stay out of the elements. The fun thing about this dog house is that it also comes with a clear plastic door flap that acts as additional protection against these elements. The door flap can protect your dog without stopping him from seeing outside. It also comes with asphalt shingles on its sloped roof that you can remove when you are cleaning. You can assemble this dog house as it comes with predrilled holes. All you need for assembly is a drill or a screwdriver. As if all these features are not enough, the Petsfit dog house also comes with an insulation kit. Note that the insulation kit is only available for the large-size model. What’s not to love about this dog house?
2. Petmate Aspen Petbarn (Best Budget Dog House)
Our second pick is the best for your buck. The Petmate Aspen PetBarn has a durable plastic construction that offers a barrier to insects and fleas while providing shelter from the elements. This doghouse is one of the simple dog houses we talked about earlier. It comes in two sections that you can assemble by snapping both top and bottom sections together. It comes with a sloped gable roof and has an extension over the door that helps keep the elements at bay.
The Petmate doghouse is easy to clean. All you need to do is spray it down with a hose, and you are good to go. It also comes in three sizes specifications, 15lbs, 25-50lbs, and 50-90lbs. You can house small, medium, or large dogs without any issue. It has a slightly elevated molded floor that provides insulating by creating an air pocket. The main attractive feature of this doghouse is its price. For these features it offers, the Petmate Aspen PetBarn is a top choice for pet owners on a budget.
3. PetMate Precision Extreme Outback Log Cabin (Best Dog House for Large Dogs)
This doghouse is best for large-breed dogs. It comes with an offset door that allows even the biggest dogs to curl up out of the pouring rain or piercing sunlight. Apart from the large size, this doghouse also comes in small, medium, and extra-large sizes. Petmate Log Cabin is made from solid wood and has stainless steel hardware and a sealed protective coating. These features guarantee years of safety and security for your dog.
This dog house also has a sloped roof, which helps in optimal draining. You can assemble it in three easy steps with the help of a drill or a screwdriver. You can fit the Petmate Log Cabin with the Precision Pet Insulation Kit though you have to buy it separately. This insulation kit will provide additional protection from cold.
4. PetsFit Outdoor Dog House, Small (Best Dog House for Small Dogs)
This doghouse is best for small dogs. It comes with a covered porch that your dog will enjoy lounging in. This porch has an extended roof that adds additional protection from the sun and rain. This doghouse is also available in medium and large, but only the small size has a covered porch.
The Petsfit doghouse comes with a hinged roof that you can clean easily. The roof has an extended design that will protect your small dog from the elements. The best part of this doghouse is the window at the front of the doghouse, which allows your dog to look out of the doghouse without the need to come out of his house.
The Petsfit doghouse is made from kiln-dried cedar, which resists insect and water damage. It is a suitable choice for small dogs since they can feel secure and safe in their house.
5. FurHaven Pet (Best Indoor Pet House)
In our opinion, the Furhaven Pet Condo is the best indoor doghouse. This option is best for pet owners that don’t want their dogs to sleep outside or pet owners that want their dogs to have their own space indoors. Some dogs don’t like sleeping outside, and that is where this pet house comes in. With this doghouse, your dog can be protected from the elements and can feel safe and secure in his own space. If you want to give your dog a place of his own while keeping his indoors, then the Furhaven Pet Condo is the perfect option for you.
This doghouse is available in either Ottoman or Footstool options, making it suitable for small and medium dogs. It is also available in other options that are ideal for large dogs. The fun part of this dog house is the fun fabrics it comes covered in. These fabrics come in fun colors and patterns such as solid coconut brown and beach house stripe that can complement and add to your interior decor. You can easily remove the top of the condo when cleaning, and you don’t need to assemble the doghouse as it comes assembled.
6. PetsFit Portable Wooden Dog House (Best Portable Dog House)
This option is the best portable dog house. You can easily fold this doghouse and take it with you on trips and overnight stays. This doghouse does not take up much space, so you can fold it up and store it in your garage or car trunk. It is made from wood and has hinges along its sides and top. These hinges allow you to fold it flat when you want to transport it or when it is not in use. This option is suitable for pet owners that love to travel with their dogs. It is also ideal for guest houses that have guests that bring their dogs along.
The Petsfit Portable DogHouse is for dogs that weigh up to 30lbs. It comes with a raised floor that will help keep your dogs off the ground to avoid them getting dirty. It also comes with an offset door that adds additional protection from strong wind, sunlight, snow, rain, and other elements. You can also fit this doghouse with a soft rug or pad if you want your dog to be extra comfortable.
7. Pets Imperial Insulated Wooden Dog Kennel (Best Insulated Dog House for Large Dogs)
This option is the best-insulated dog house for large dogs. If you have a large dog and live in a cold climate, this option is for you. This doghouse comes with a removable floor, which is an advantage when cleaning. It also comes with insulated floors and a ceiling that you can use all year round. Its plastic rust-resistant feet help in air circulation beneath the raised ground. The Pets Imperial DogHouse can house dogs that are up to 145 pounds. It’ll keep your dog warm in the winter and cool in the summer! We have a full guide on how to keep your dog cool in the summer here.
8. AmazonBasics Elevated Pet House (Best Dog House for its Price)
This option is the best doghouse for its price and is backed with Amazonbasics. The best part about this doghouse is that it can work for both indoor and outdoor use. It is portable and has a large front opening for easy access. It comes with an A-frame canopy roof with a mesh panel, allowing air circulation. It is made of mesh cloth, metal and plastic components, and oxford fabric. You can clean it easily, and it is durable.
9. ASL Solutions DP Hunter Insulated Dog House (Best Insulated Dog House with Floor Heater)
If you are looking for the best-insulated dog house with a floor heater, then this doghouse is for you. The DP Hunter is a heavy-duty plastic dog house with thick ceiling panels and walls with foam padding. It comes with a floor heater that creates extra coziness for your dog. It also comes with a self-closing door and a window that will keep your dog secure in bad weather.
Choosing the best doghouse for your dog depends on many factors like size, insulation, etc. With our top picks, you can find the best doghouse for your dog. For most dogs, we stick to our recommendation of the PetsFit Dog House!