If you have a pet dog at home, you probably know that dogs do suffer from a lot from different types of diseases. We have discussed about various types of disease and its treatment in form of articles in this blog and now we are again here with an article that actually deals with the irritated dog paws. It’s very common that dogs suffer from irritated and red dog paws that are very pathetic for them. But this needs to be cured as soon as you notice. Don’t get confused about the matter; here you will be giving you some tips for soothing the irritated dog paws.
First of all you will have to know the reasons which can cause the irritated paws in dogs. Actually this is not a disease rather it is symptoms. There may be some sort of underlying issues behind it. Irritated dog paws are mainly caused due to allergic issues as a symptom of that disease. That clearly means that you will not be able to treat it until and unless you know about the real disease which is causing this symptom.
Tips for Soothing Irritated Dog Paws:
1. Talk to your Vet: The first thing that you should do after noticing the problem is consult a vet near you. This is the first suggestion because it is almost impossible for you to diagnose the actual disease. We have already told you that in most of the cases irritated paws are mainly caused by the allergy or any infections caused by other foreign bodies. If you read any other article on this topic, they will also surely suggest you about this. So take an appointment as soon as possible and visit the vet with your pet. A professional vet can address you the real issue. But till you get the appointment of your vet, continue with the below mentioned tips.
2. Hydrotherapy: It may sound something great to you, but it is actually the term used for soaking your dog paws in water. Yes it works really well. Always use cold water in this case. Cold water will help in reducing the inflammation and will soothe the paws a bit constricting the blood vessels. Your dog will also feel a bit comfortable with this therapy and as result it will work out to reduce the irritation.
3. Wipe Down Pads: It you are almost sure that the irritation in your dog’s paws are caused by environmental allergies, in such case the best thing to do is wipe down their paws with pads every time they come from outside. For better results use natural baby wipes. This will actually help reducing the amount of pollen and mold spores on the pad as these are really an important cause for the environmental allergies.
4. Grain Free Food: In some cases, it has been noticed that the irritated dog paws are caused by food allergies. But it is very rare. If it is a food allergy then the best way to treat your dog is change the food as soon as possible. Now after the check-up if vet determines that it is finally a food allergy and it is being caused by the foods, and then you should ask your vet about the ideal diet that your dog should be given. But remember that you will have to change the food for sure.
5. Topical Cortisone Creams and Sprays: For temporary relief you can use topical cortisone creams and sprays. But remember that they are not a long term treatment. We are suggesting this only for giving your pet an instant relief from the irritation till the original cause is determined by the vet. Your vet will actually prescribe you the long term treatment medicines. You can get the Cortisone creams and sprays over any medical store or counter.
Lastly, we are again telling you all that irritated paws in dogs is not a disease rather it is a symptom caused by any other underlying disease. So treating the irritated paws is not going to work and it will never get treated by that. So it is very important to diagnose the actual disease for which this symptom is occurring. Please don’t try to diagnose on your own as it will completely be an assumption and it will be dangerous for your pet. The problem can be only fixed in a long term basis only when the root cause can be determined. So the only option is to consult with a good veterinarian doctor who can give you fruitful suggestions.