One may think that in animals, the mating practices may be pretty simple as it is dictated by nature. While the circle of mating in terms of when is definitely dictated by nature, how they mate can differ from one species to another.
Let us look at some of the notable ways in which our friends from the animal kingdom go about the mating ritual:
- Porcupines pass urine on the female to initiate the act
- Snails may shoot out a dart of love to start the process
- In some types of spider the male ties the female in a web before mating
- Flatworms have the sexual characteristic of both male and female. They decide on which role they will take before mating
- Male bowerbirds put together elaborate structures so that the female will choose them as their mate
- A male praying mantis has to risk being devoured by his mate during the act as the act can make her really hungry