Pugs are often described as a part of American Kennel Club’s group and are known as a lap dog, as they thrive on human camaraderie. Pugs are the clowns of the canine world, because of their amazing sense of humor and how they show it off. This square-proportioned, compact dog has a jocular face with deep wrinkles around the eyes that can’t help you but smile. Because of its flat round face, which resembles like a fist, these dogs are called as a pug, which means fist in Latin. With strong and jaunty gait, the expression of a pug is always soft and solicitous.
Pugs are expressed in Latin as “a lot of dog in small space” as they have remarkable charming personality despite its size. Pugs are crown at heart and carry themselves with dignity and docile. The majority of this breed is fond of children, they are playful dogs and always ready to steal hearts and become the center of attraction. Of course, they do tend to have a somewhat lazy nature and prefer to nap most of the times. Personality wise, pugs are strong filled and intuitive, making them very sensitive to their owner’s mood and are usually always eager to please them.
Pug Dog Breed Information
Dog Breed Group: Companion Dogs
Height:10 inches to 1 foot, 2 inches tall at the shoulder
Weight:14 to 18 pounds
Color: Black, Fawn, Apricot, Silver Fawn
Life Span:12 to 15 years
Pug originated in China before 6th century BCE, they were favorites of Shang dynasty rulers. According to the history, pugs were presented as a gift, their wrinkles were considered as a sign of good luck. From China, the preceding of pug started spreading to the Buddhist monk in Tibet. Pugs were prized by the emperor and lived in luxurious accommodation, sometimes guarded by the soldiers. Later in the 1500’s Dutch, East India Company imported them to Europe, who named the breed Mopshond, a name that is still used in Europe. Pugs quickly became the favorites of royal families and emerged as a house of Orange’s official dog. Pug started gaining popularity in the 17th century when in Italy a custom arose of dressing up the dogs and pug won the show and hearts with military tracker role. Sooner, pug made headlines depicting its popularity in the United States. The Queen Victoria’s involvement with pug breed started the establishment of Kennel Club in 1873.I had once heard that if you want to make your pug follow you to the end of the earth. You just need to put butter on your feet! That’s the case with pugs they can do anything for food so these dogs are hardest to train and their training involving food rewards is best to train these notorious and stubborn creatures.
Size and Height
Pug weighs between 14-18 pounds and stands 12-14 inch high. Female pugs are slightly shorter in height than the male. They adore food and chicken, and seem to have a natural affinity for begging.
The average lifespan of a pug is 12-15 years.
Coat and Colour
Pugs have double coats with a smooth and velvety layer that shed profusely, so better invest in a vacuum cleaner. These prolific shedders decrease the visibility of coat hair by matching their fair coat colour with the furniture’s shade.
Usually, pugs include fawn and black colour, apricot and other fawn colours. One thing that is common in a very pug is the “traces” the black lines which run along the spine on their fur coat. Instead of doing all other things, you can make a tattoo of the dog on your body if you are pug person so,lovable pug tattoo pictures really inspire you to have one.
The fur coat of pug does not require any de-tangling or fancy trimming. The process of grooming involves bathing in 2-3 weeks and brushing regularly, wiping of ear and face wrinkles every week and monthly nail trimming. It is best to start the grooming when the pup is young so that they grow accustomed to the process. Daily cleaning of the facial wrinkles helps them to prevent skin infections within the folds. It is wise to less shampoo on their fur, only when their skin is prone to dryness and irritation. Your pug needs a nice sudsy bath in every three weeks. Make sure you never use human shampoo or human soap on their body, they might get allergic to it. During the shedding seasons, make sure to detangle their fur using a defuzzer comb several times in a week.
- Some bathing tips-
use conditioner to add a layer of protection from effects of sun and wind.
Drying the coat is the most important, use an extra towel to completely dry the fur coat, as they hold a lot of water.
- Some brushing tips–
To fight against the shedding issue, make sure you brush the entire coat with a bristle brush.
During shedding season, remove the dead hair as much as possible.
- Some eyes and ears cleansing tips –
Gently clean the eyes with sterilized water, eyes tend to get “gooey” because of the shape of their face.
In every 1-2 weeks, clean the ears using a cotton ball, do not go deep, just enough to clean the wax.
Pug craves for attention – in your lap, content to sit in your lap as you watch a movie or read a book. He is a playful and comical dog, don’t expect a pug to hunt, guard or retrieve. Give your pup exposure to different people, sights and experience, as they need socialization.
What to Feed Your Pug?
In order to sustain a long and healthy life, they require a high protein diet. Pug loves to play and eat. They are such high energy dogs, so the basic balanced diet to carbohydrate, protein and vitamin.Pug Comes under the category of cheapest dog breeds which can easy to afford Generally, the cost of dog breed varies according to its genetic condition, size, structure, and level of energy. Some consume a very little food per day whereas other breed needs a bagful of food every day.
The important thing to note: the protein should be muscle meat or fish, it shouldn’t be a by a product that includes lean meat.
Common Issues Related to Diet
The small and compact body shape of pug often puts weight on the bones, thus pug often suffers from arthritis. Extra weight can also exacerbate the issues like heart disease, strokes and breathing issue. Maintain an exercise level to prevent diseases and a lean diet to ensure proper weight.The desire to buy a puppy with a cute curled tail, then here are some of the most Popular dog breeds with curly tails that you can consider buying and pug is one of them.
Common Pug Health Problems
- Cheyletiella Dermatitis (Walking Dandruff): If you spot heavy dandruff, down the middle of the back, it might be caused by a mite. Consult your vet, as mites are highly contagious.
- Pug Dog Encephalitis: It is a fatal inflammable brain disease, the sad part is, there is no cure for it. PDE is more common is young pugs, which cause them to seize, circle, become blind, fall into the coma and then die. It can happen in few days or weeks. American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation, sponsor the cost of the disease.
- Epilepsy: Idiopathic epilepsy also causes seizures for no known reason. If your Pug has seizures, take him to your vet to determine the appropriate treatment.
- Nerve Degeneration: The older pugs suffer from nerve degeneration. The doctors are still searching the cause of the disease and aren’t sure why it occurs. This condition advances slowly and steady, usually causing no pain to pug, thus making it even tougher to detect.
- Corneal Ulcer– The large and prominent eyes of pug get injured easily and develop ulcers at the cornea. If your pug squints a lot or has red eyes take proper medication, with proper care it gets recovered easily, if not it can make pug blind for life.
- Dry Eyes– Proptosis, distichiasis, progressive retinal atrophy, entropion these are common eyes problem detected.
Staph Infection: Staph bacteria is found on the skin, which develops acne and infected hair follicles if pugs are stressed or have low immunity level. You should contact your vet for appropriate treatment.
- Yeast Infection – If your Pug smells bad and has itchy, blackened thickened skin, he may have a yeast infection. It commonly affects the armpits, feet, groin, neck and ears.
- Hip Dysplasia: Many factors causing hip dysplasia includes genetics, environment and diet leading to deformity of the hip joint. Affected Pugs can lead normal, healthy lives with proper veterinary attention.
- Patellar Luxation: The patella is the kneecap and Luxation means dislocation of an anatomical part. Patellar luxation is when the knee joint slides in and out of place, causing pain and making pug crippled.
Why do the Wrinkles Get Infected?
Bacteria start to reside in the deep crevices of the skin, blocking the healthy air flow and causing moisture to build up. Unless and until the owner or parent of the pug cleans each and every fold, these bacteria will continue to reside and cause infections.
Pictures Of Pug Puppies
How to prevent Infection?
Getting rid of the dust, moisture and food particles on pugs skin, use wipes for cleaning each fold. Keep the wrinkles dry, you may use canine facial wipes, this helps to balance the Ph level and keep the delicate skin of crevices clean.
Pug are low maintenance companions, they are playful and rambunctious. Pugs are an ideal choice for apartment dwellers, so expect to be entertained with the goofy pugs, Oh and also one last tip for all the light sleepers, invest in a pair of earplugs – pugs snore a lot!
your attraction towards them will get increased a step forward after seeing the collection Adorable and Cute Pug Dog Pictures.