Some people love to live with a motto “Bigger is better”. This article is exactly for those people. Even sometimes this motto also applies to the pets.
There are many large breed of dogs and they are very popular as pets around the world. Here we will be mentioning some of these large breeds of dogs with pictures so that it helps you to choose one from the list.
If you are one of those people who love something bigger, then of course you should go ahead. Here you can get the pictures 15 types of large dog breeds around the world and their brief description.
–update 2020 — As you all know, Amazon Prime day is almost here. Even if you have a pet or not, we are sure that you would not want to miss this opportunity. Take a look at all the great deals and discounts for our needs.
When you look at types of large dog breeds with pictures, we are sure that you would be eager to know more details about them.
The more you know about them, the better you will be able to care for them. it is very important to know the details of the breed of dog so that you can make the right choice about the kind of dog you should get to keep as a pet. This way you can be sure that you have a happy dog living with a family that is happy with the choice you have made.
Types of Large Dog Breeds with Pictures:
1. Scottish deerhound: As the name tells that they have originated from Scotland and were mainly bred to bring down stags from the Scottish highlands. They are very large in size and became royal breeds over time. Maximum Height of this breed is 75-80cm.
As you can see the size details given in the picture, this dog is indeed a large one. However, the female would be slightly shorter and lighter at around 35 to 43 kgs when compared to the 40 to 50 kgs of the male. Given the general height and size of this breed, it should not surprise you that it is also among the popular dog breeds with big paws. You will see that in the modern breeds, this dog tends to have a coat in various shades of grey. This is a gentle breed that has a lot of dignity too.
2. Kuvasz: It is one of the dog breeds that are compared to the large dog breeds around the world. It‘s origin
is from the Hungary and can be really good if trained well. Kuvasz is regarded as one of the smallest big dogs. Height of this breed is 70-76cm.
If your Kuvasz comes in the house it’s likely to shed hair around your home’s furniture, fabric, and flooring surfaces (especially in the Spring and Autumn, when it moults and can lose large chunks of hair). Sweeping hard surfaces periodically can help, as will a lint roller on more delicate fabrics. Lastly, you should regularly use a vacuum cleaner to help keep hair from getting too out of control. This site tests vacuums and has a list of the best vacuum cleaners they’ve tested. It’s worth checking out if you need a more robust vacuum to help remove the Kuvasz’s hair around your home.
This dog breed that has a dense coat that tends to be odorless and is mostly white in color, was bred to be a guardian dog for livestock. Though the fur looks white, the pigmentation of this dog is dark and the nose is black in color. The Kuvasz has a wide head and tends to be a playful dog through its adolescence. The stiff and dense coat that this breed has can grow as long as 6 inches but does not require any special grooming. You will simply need to brush the hair with a suitable brush once a week to ensure that it is in good condition.
3. Great Pyrenees: This dog breed was mainly bred to protect the sheep in Europe. Later it became one of the popular domestic dog breed. The most important thing about them is they are very loyal and trustworthy is nature. Great Pyrenees height is upto 70-82cm.
Ranging from 50 to 59 kgs the male of this breed tends to be bigger than the females who can range from 41 to 52 kgs. The Great Pyrenees is the strongest breed of dogs in the world and has a double coat of hair. The upper coat of hair is thick, long and flat hair, which can be straight or undulating over woolly undercoat, that is dense and fine. If you are keeping the Great Pyrenees as a pet at home, then you would have to brush its coat at least once or twice a month.
4. Anatolian Shepherd Dog: Antolian Shepherds were mainly used as a defense against predators. They have fierce full protective nature and are quite lovable. They are also very suitable for harsh climates.
Height: Female: 71–79 cm, Male: 74–81 cm
This muscular breed of dog comes with a thick neck, sturdy body, and thick neck. They can grow to be between 40 kgs to 70 kgs in weight though the females of the breed can be a bit on the smaller side.
When you look at the accompanying pictures, you will realize that this breed truly deserves to be on the list of amazing pictures of big dogs. In most cases, the Anatolian Shepherd Dog has a light or white cream coat with white spots on it. Their thick double coat needs to be brushed once or twice a week to ensure that it remains clean and well-groomed.
5. Newfoundland: Normally, Newfoundland is not the world’s largest dog breed but actually some exceptions make them get included in the list. Some of the dogs of this breed can cross even 200 pounds. They are great water rescue dogs and normally named as ‘Gentle Giants’.Height of Newfoundland dog Male is 69–74 cm and Female is 63–69 cm.
The Newfoundland breed of dogs have webbed feet and a coat that is water-resistant. They weigh between 55 kgs to 90 kgs with the females being slightly lighter in size and the giant male touching 90 kgs. Most of the times you will see that the dog can be black or brown or a mix of white and black in color. In spite of their huge size, this breed is known to be calm of temperament and stoic in nature. The lung capacity allows for swimming long distances and their thick and oily coat is waterproof helps protect them from cold waters.
6. Leonberger: When Leonberger was bred for the first time, three of the world’s largest dog was involved in it. They are used today as Life guard dogs with a great appearance.A mature Leonberger heights range is 70-80cm.
Weighing between 45 kgs to 77 kgs, with the male dogs being bigger in size and the females being a bit smaller. The legend behind this dog breed states that it was bred to imitate the lion that was in the town crest belonging to Leonberg in Germany. The Leonberger has featured as one of the biggest dogs in the world and their Guinness world records.
7. St. Bernard: St. Bernard is a giant dog breed and they grow very large in a short period of time. Once they were also used for rescuing people from the snow but now they have become good pets. You can find out more about these amazing creatures on this blog. The average weight of the breed is between 65 and 120 kg and approximate height is 70-90cm.
To start with, this dog is really huge with its weight ranging from 65 kgs to 120 kgs. The size also makes this breed of dog one of the most dangerous dog breeds because they are also difficult to train. If you are wondering about their name, it is supposed to have originated from Great St Bernard Hospice in the pass of the same name which is in thewestern Alps which is situated between Italy and Switzerland.
8. Irish wolfhound: Irish wolfhounds are very light weight dogs but very large in size. They can grow up to the height of 30-35 inches on an average. They are also found in various colors.The minimum height of this breed is 32 inches and minimum weight is 55kg.
As we have said earlier, this breed is large but not a heavy one. The Irish Wolfhound also counts among the most expensive dog breeds in the world. The reason that it is called a wolfhound is not because of its appearance and not due to the breeding. This breed is among the oldest and can be traced back to early 7000 BC. Before you jump in and get one, please note that like many other large dogs, this one too has a relatively short lifespan.
9. Great Dane: Great Danes are always known as the greatest or the tallest dog breeds around the world. The current world record of the world’s tallest dog breed is also a Great Dane. So if you are really in a love with large dogs then you should go for Great Danes.Great Dane with a size of 43 inches and holds two records.
The great Dane is a combination of strength, dignity, and elegance in appearance and has a body that is well-formed and powerfully muscled. If you are thinking of getting one as a pet ensure that you schedule time for a daily quota of exercise. You will also find the useful great Dane care and requisite information very useful in taking care of your pet.
10. Mastiff: Mastiffs are always known to be very courageous and dignified in their own style. But they are very social and docile in nature.The average height of mastiff’s up to 65-75cm.
This a huge breed of dog the males of which can weigh as much as 113 kgs. It is one of the largest dogs in terms of mass and on average can be heavier than the St.Bernard. This dog also has one of the most strongest animal bites in the world, so we would advise caution if you are considering getting one as a pet. You can search for large dog breed supplies, including training items and large harnesses on PetClever.
11. Cane Corso: They are very smart and intelligent dog breed with a great confidence and activeness. The main thing of this dog breed is they are very muscular in nature.Males stand 25 to 27.5 inches and females 23.5 to 26 inches.
This dog breed is a Italian breed of mastiff. It is a very highly muscled dog though less bulky than its English relative and weighs around 50 kgs on the higher side. The dog comes in two colors- black and fawn. This breed is considered one of the favorite black dog breeds. This breed is used mostly for taking care of cattle and swine and known to be a useful companion when it comes to swine hunting.
12. Bernese mountain dog: Bernese Mountain Dogs are mainly very calm and quiet in nature. They are very social but with a large body that makes most of the people afraid of them.the average height of this male dog is 26 inches.
Related: Top 10 Mountain Dog Breeds
This is a large and heavy breed of dog that can grow to as much 71 cms in height and weigh as much as 55 kgs, especially the male. This outdoor breed can be comfortable inside a household as long as you provide them with them plenty of exercise and activities. But do note that this breed counts among the most unhealthy dog breeds with a higher chance to be afflicted by cancer.
13. Tibetan Mastiff: If you keep them in your house, they are very mellow and calm in nature. Much devoted to the family as every owner wants. But very aggressive towards the strangers.
The males of this breed can reach a weight of 90 kgs and somehow still manage to look fluffy due to the abundance of hair. It is one of those breeds of dogs that look like bears or teddy bears. Since we are talking about a primitive breed, this one has the hardiness to survive in the cold climes of Tibet.
14. Black Russian Terrier: Black Russian Terriers are normally very smart, confident and protective towards their loved ones. They grow really large and come with an amazing appearance.Black Russian’s weight can range from 80 to 140 pounds
This dog has a double coat with an outer coat that is coarse under which is a softer coat. This breed is a calm and confident dog with plenty of courage. It is very smart and easy to train. The Black Russian Terrier was actually bred to protect which is the reason for its alert and determined nature.
15. Neapolitan Mastiff: They are very watchful and loyal to their owners. Normally calm in nature but can be very aggressive towards the owners.According to the American Kennel Club (AKC) standard, male Neapolitan Mastiffs should measure 26–31 inches.
This extremely protective and fearless dog can weigh as much as 70 kgs, especially the males. This breed is covered in loose skin and its coat can be mahogany, black, tawny or blue in color. It is one of the amazing dog breeds from Mediterranean countries. If you are considering having one as a pet, do give consideration to its socialization needs.
16 Dogue De Bordeaux: This is a dog breed with an average weight of 144 pounds and can grow up to 26 inches. This breed is a purebred and is very courageous, active and social dog breed. Keep them in regular exercise for a fit body structure.
17 Rottweiler: Rottweiler originates from Germany and is a very popular large dog breed. They are very intelligent and fearless in nature.
18 Caucasian Ovcharka: This dog breed is known for it’s large body and fearless nature. Caucasians are very protective and aggressive. they can also used for hunting.
Now it’s up to you which breed you are going to choose from here depending on your ability to keep them as pets. The choice generally varies from man to man but you should go for the one you like the most.
We have given you some interesting points to ponder about types of large dog breeds along with pictures so that you have an idea about what to expect.